- Under the supervision of the Manager of Coding and Clinical Validation, the Clinical Documentation Improvement Educator is responsible for providing education and training to Clinical Validation staff, physicians and the health care team on effective, compliant clinical documentation.
- Facilitates consistent, accurate and optimal documentation by providing both formal and informal educational programs.
- Assesses documentation gaps and formulates appropriate CDI educational tools to include, but not limited to, PowerPoint presentations, newsletters and documentation tips sheets.
- Applies teaching/learning principles in establishing an overall educational program related to effective clinical documentation for, and in collaboration with, Clinical Validation staff, physicians and the health care team.
- Acts as a resource to Clinical Validation staff and clinical providers on optimal documentation.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Nursing or Health Information Management
- Five years’ experience as a Clinical Validation Specialist and/or educator
- Must demonstrate understanding of the APR-DRG system, impact on case mix index as well as ICD-10 coding systems and how guidelines relate to clinical documentation improvement.
- Demonstrates competency in teaching/learning process.
- Demonstrates extensive clinical knowledge and understanding of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology.
- Must have a thorough understanding of clinical documentation principles, guidelines and regulations.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with peers, physicians, nursing and other staff.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills that promote teamwork.
- Must demonstrate abilities to train and deliver education programs.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and be able to produce training presentations and materials.
- RN licensure
- CCS/CIC; CCDS and/or CDIP strongly preferred but required to obtain within a year of hire
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, concentrate and pay close attention to detail.
- Normal office work environment. Opportunity to work remotely.
Instructions for Resume Submission: