Unlimited opportunities + you.
With an extensive regional health network throughout Maryland, Northern Virginia, and Washington, D.C. metro area, MedStar Health impacts the lives of millions of people each day
Why Choose MedStar Health
- Associate satisfaction ratings that exceed the national benchmark.
- Hospitals ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, Solucient, HealthGrades, AARP, CareScience, Press Ganey, and others.
- One of the “Best Places to Work” as named by the Baltimore Business Journal and the Washington Business Journal.
- Responsible for assisting Inpatient APR (All Patient Refined) Coding Operation Manager with daily activities to include assisting coding staff with coding questions, scheduling, and mentoring.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Abstracts and ensures accuracy of diagnosis, procedure, patient demographics, and other related data elements.
- Assists with coding as needed.
- Consistently meets or exceeds established Quality, Accuracy and Productivity standards as defined by policies.
- Contacts physician when conflicting or ambiguous information appears in the medical record. Requests diagnosis from physicians when not recorded on discharge.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Determines the sequence of diagnoses according to uniform hospital discharge data definitions and assigns appropriate DRG.
- Has knowledge of coding compliance plan, directs efforts to achieving plan by focusing on areas identified through coding reviews or targeted by management for improvement.
- Maintains continuing education. Maintains credentials for required job classification.
- Monitors accounts receivables daily and works with various departments (i.e. HIM-Health Information Management, Patient Access, etc.) to resolve problem accounts.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provides input into the evaluation system.
- Responsible for coordinating and maintaining daily work flow for assigned staff.
- Responsible for the timely reconciliation process for any internal or external department coding reviews (core measures, CDI-Clinical Documentation Improvement, MHAC’s-Maryland Hospital Acquired Condition’s, etc.) to ensure compliance.
- Reviews, analyzes and interprets medical record documentation to identify diagnoses and procedures. Assigns correct ICD diagnostic and procedural codes using standard guidelines and automated encoding software maintaining departmental accuracy standards.
- Serves as a resident expert on coding and assists coding associates with resolving coding questions and provides mentoring.
- Under the direction of the coding manager, assists with coding related tasks such as mentoring, writing reports, working outstanding PFS accounts, monitoring staff productivity or quality, etc.
- High School graduation or equivalent; Bachelors degree preferred.
- 3 years inpatient coding experience, experience with APR severity grouper preferred. Experience with clinical information systems (3M grouper, Soft-Med, Electronic Medical Record, etc.). 2 Years operational and/or supervision experience preferred.
- CCS (Certified Coding Specialist). RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician) or RHIA (Registered Health Information Administrator) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills required. Clinical system software skills (3M, electronic medical record, etc. ). Strong knowledge of Maryland Payment and regulatory systems.